Monday, April 9, 2012

19 to 30

Coaches Sports have been a big part of my life (more to come on that at a later time)and i truly have been so fortunate with many great coaches over the years...i have had some coaches that have truly impacted my life and not just the way i play basketball. Coach Jones was my high school bball coach at East Coweta high school. I graduated 11 years ago (don't even get me started on that) and i still have contact with her and even got to see her last week when i went to atlanta. she was such a great coach. we had great teams all three years that i played for her and those years are some of my best memories. what i loved about her was the trust and faith she had in me and showed me...sure she got mad...we still joke about how she would yell my name and stomp her foot (a trait i now have as a coach)but no matter what i did or how mad she got she never yanked me out of the game for making a mistake...she always trusted me and that gave me so much confidence and i know i played better because of it. she still is the coach at EC and i know her retirement is coming soon but i could never explain to her the positive impact she had on my life. it was during my years of playing for her that i first started to desire being a coach myself. here's a pic of us when i'm in high school and one from just last week.
Coach Clark was the assistant bball coach at southern virginia university. she was like the big sister that i didn't have in virginia during my college years. she was so great to us and some of my all time favorite memories include her (i can't discuss some of them...eh hum bertha panties :)) she would have us over for dinner, would help arrange our class schedules, take us to dr appointments, make us get in great shape during preseason conditioning and even just hang out with us. she made my years at svu so much better.
Coach Harmon was the head coach at southern virginia university. he and i actually didn't get off to a great start :) our personalities clashed my first year or so and i didn't always agree with his techniques but i decided to stick it out...i am so glad i did. what i learned about harmon is that first you have to give him your whole trust...put your faith in him and i was eventually able to do that and by so doing i got so much more than a basketball coach...i got another father. once you get in that inner circle of trust you get a life long love and trust from him in return. he took great interest and care into my self esteem issues and truly tried to help me love myself better. i trusted him and once i did he gave me everything he had. i still know that i can call him at any time no matter what it is i need and he will do everything in his power to help me...he became a father figure for me and that still means so much.
Coach Dryden was my softball coach at southern virginia university and she was so great. she is someone that you would NEVER hear anyone say a bad word about. she was so loving and caring and would do so much for us whether it was tutoring or letting us do our laundry at her home or letting me use her tv when i didn't have cable to watch Uconn play. she let us be a part of her family because we were constantly around her kids and that meant so much that she trusted us with them.

No comments: