Saturday, April 14, 2012

14 to 30

Everything happens for a reason and there was a clear cut path that led me to Southern Virginia University during my college years. I had planned on going to BYU and I was confident that I would get in. I had the grades, the extra curriculars, etc. We were so confident that we even put a deposit down on an apartment for me. I only applied to BYU and Ricks as a backup. I had decided that I was too burned out from basketball to continue playing in college so I turned down scholarships from smaller schools and set my sights on the Y. I remember my dad mentioning SVU during my application process and I laughed at him...like i'd go to a school that small :) I was literally shocked when i didn't get into the Y. So, i headed to Ricks instead. I liked Ricks...i had great roommates, loved my classes and enjoyed myself but i didn't like rexburg and it just never felt "right" to me. during my stay i became good friends with a neighbor who had attended SVU the previous year and just raved about it. so, after lots of thinking my dad and i made a trip to svu and did a bball tryout for coach harmon and he gave me a scholarship and that was that. my first year was very similar to my experience at ricks...i had some good friends, i had some good times, but it just didn't feel great. i put sincere thought into not returning for my junior year but i decided to stick it out and oh my gosh am i glad i did. my junior year and then even more so my senior year were some of the best of my life. the friends i made, the experiences playing basketball and softball, the spiritual growth i had, the life lessons i learned and the education i received are all things that i could never put a price on. i graduated from SVU exactly 8 years ago and i still feel like there is still a piece of my heart there...i think there always will be. the path that led me to svu was clearly for a purpose and i know that i was meant to be there and i was meant to meet the people that i did. i have friends for life...6 of us are actually gathering in the colorado mountains this june for a fun reunion/girls week...i couldn't be more excited. i love svu!

No comments: